Windows Server 2008 Unable to break out of boot loop


With a server 2008 installation, I wanted to reboot into safe mode. Msconfig was used to allow restart in safe mode. However, on reboot, it gets to the log on screen then reboots again very quickly. I've tried frantically typing the password, but the reboot is too quick and loops incessantly. This is not a boot loop linked to an OS update which I've come across in researching an answer.

I tried putting the installation disk in and chose the repair (rescue?) option. This resulted in a message box saying it was the wrong version of windows. Not sure what is going on as it was the right version as far as I could tell. I want to avoid reinstalling Windows Server if at all possible.

The machine is dual boot with linux so if there's a solution involving manually editing appropriate files this would be no problem.