Windows 2000 I disabled Remote Procedure Call (before I read your advice) and I my computer is broke! What do I do?

Boot into safe mode and install this registry patch. It will place RPC service back into automatic. After applying the registry fix, you should be able to boot normally.

This file contains only the "Start" key:

The "RpcSs" service, this information is applied:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs]
"Start"=dword:00000002

  • Download File Name:
    RpcRepair.zip ~ 288 bytes ~ Version .01 ~ October 28, 2002

If this does not fix the problem, you can attempt to reinstall Windows on top of the old installation. This usually repairs the OS, but keeps user data still accessible. However, I do not support such actions for obvious reasons and you will need to reapply all patches, driver updates and service packs.
Anything on this page is offered with zero guarantee. Back up everything vital.