An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection


Q1:  I received the following error message when i run the command ipconfig   /renew on Windows XP system.  "An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: Access is denied."


I run the command using Domain admin but yet still get the same error message but i still able to get the dhcp ip after few minutes. Anyone, please advice any possible cause that will bring up this error message. Many thanks in advance

A1: Winsock registry keys may be  damaged. Check this page for details,

Ipconfig

Symptom: When trying to renew IP, you may get this error "An error occurred while renewing the interface Local Area Connection: …


Q2: Hi Robert,


Thanks for the reply. I found the error occur because of the misconfiguration on the core switch. 


Seem like the client DHCP discovery packets was broadcast to another vlan
and rejected by the DHCP server.


A2: Thank you for the update. I saw another similar post like yours. I should add it to my database.